[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Issue395: avoid single letter patch name... (and 6 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Jan 23 11:37:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:39:17PM -0500, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Thu Jan 17 21:06:34 EST 2008  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * Issue395: avoid single letter patch names in the test suite.
>
> Thu Jan 17 22:02:41 EST 2008  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * use --ignore-time in tests instead of "sleep", for faster, more reliable results
>
> Sat Jan 19 19:45:03 EST 2008  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * Take advantage of updated Perl testing infrastructure by removing needless author mentions in tests
>
> Sat Jan 19 19:52:42 EST 2008  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * Take advantage of new Perl testing infrastructure by eliminating needless --ignore-time mentions
>
> Sat Jan 19 22:56:51 EST 2008  Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>
>   * Major Perl test suite clean-up.
>       The primary purpose of this patch was make sure all the tests are executed in
>       randomly named directories, which allows us to run Perl tests in parallel,
>       without the directory names collided.
>
>       This isn't enabled by default for "make test", but it is there to play with.
>       In the test directory, you can now do:
>
>       ./bin/prove -j9 *.pl
>
>       to run 9 tests in parallel. There is also "--fork"
>       option which should be a win on multi-CPU computers.
>       See "perldoc ./bin/prove" for details.
>
>       As part of this, a lot of boiler-plate code at the top and bottom of the
>       scripts could be eliminated, and I made few other minor style clean-ups
>       while I had the files open.
>
>       There should be no functional changes to the tests.

I'm not sure I like this idea, as it seems likely to lead to greater
difficulty in understanding and debugging failing test results.  We can
already run up to six tests in parallel just by running make -j6 test.

Also, why make the directory names random? Couldn't we just generate a
unique directory name from the test name itself? So then init_tmp_repo() in
test foo.pl would generate a repository named temp1-foo.

Then we'd have a relatively readable scheme for generating repository
directories, and hopefully it'd be pretty easy to find the right
repository, when investigating a bug, and you'd have parallelization, too.

I'm applying this patch, but hope that you'll be willing to rewrite this
init_tmp_repo to create something predictable.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University