[darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre3

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Jan 23 16:58:34 UTC 2008

Incidentally, I've just been getting myself a few copies of the ghc
repository for timings, and enjoyed seeing how long it took...

$ time darcs get --complete http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc ghc-oldfashioned
This is the GHC darcs repository (HEAD branch)

For more information, visit the GHC developer wiki at
  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
**********************
Finished getting.

real    11m42.452s
user    2m49.275s
sys     0m59.780s
$ time darcs get ghc-oldfashioned ghc-oldfashioned2
Finished getting.

real    2m31.958s
user    1m27.689s
sys     0m57.396s
$ time darcs get --hashed ghc-oldfashioned ghc-hashed
Finished getting.

real    6m37.527s
user    3m26.321s
sys     2m59.191s
$ time darcs get ghc-hashed/ ghc-hashed2
Finished getting.

real    0m1.431s
user    0m1.072s
sys     0m0.344s

I'm not sure why the third get was so slow, but the last one was quite
satisfying, actually.  :) To be fair, the third command doesn't copy any
patches... but that's the point.  With the hashed repository formats we can
have truly cheap branches, even of large repositories.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University