[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Second attempt at removing unused code from OldDate.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Jan 30 15:06:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 02:56:36PM +0000, E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> Wed Jan 30 09:38:34 GMT 2008  Eric Kow <E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk>
>   * Second attempt at removing unused code from OldDate.
>
>   If I understand correctly, patches prior to David's 2003-10-14 patch
>   "use iso format for dates in record", darcs used a date format like
>   <Tue Jan 29 09:24:01 GMT 2008>, generated via calendarTimeToString.
>   Since then, patches have been written in (a subset of) the ISO 8601 format,
>   like <20080110004605>.  Nothing else has been used within patches.

Given our previous troubles, I can't help but wonder if this removal is
worthwhile.  It's probably safe, but that's what I thought about your last
patch.  And the absolute safest approach is to not change how we parse
dates, which is the conservative approach I lean towards, since we have
absolutely no way to know for certain what's present in older
repositories.  I believe at one time we allowed arbitrary strings in the
date field (specified by --pipe) so there might be tailer-converted
repositories around with other formats.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University