[darcs-devel] [issue936] Using --without-type-witnesses on 2.0.2 causes build failure on OS X 10.5.3.

Gregory Wright bugs at darcs.net
Wed Jun 25 09:08:41 UTC 2008

New submission from Gregory Wright <gwright at antiope.com>:

Hi,

It appears as if a bug similar to issue 837 is back in darcs 2.0.2.
If I build with
type witnesses explicitly disabled I get:

redwing-dakota> cd ~/Desktop/darcs-2.0.2
redwing-dakota> ./configure --without-type-witnesses
checking for darcs... darcs
checking if we're in a darcs repository... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking windows.h usability... no
checking windows.h presence... no
checking for windows.h... no
checking for ghc... ghc
found The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.8.3
checking whether to profile... no
checking whether to use the threaded runtime... yes
checking GHC.Handle.openFd... NOT old API
checking GHC.Handle.openFd new API... NOT 'new' API
checking GHC.Handle.fdToHandle' API... okay
checking for module System.Posix.Signals(installHandler, raiseSignal,
Handler(..), Signal,
                          sigINT, sigHUP, sigABRT, sigALRM, sigTERM,
sigPIPE,)... yes
checking siginfo.h usability... no
checking siginfo.h presence... no
checking for siginfo.h... no
checking for module Text.Regex( mkRegex, matchRegex, Regex )... no;
and neither in package text
checking for module Text.Regex( mkRegex, matchRegex, Regex )... in
package regex-compat
checking for module Network.HTTP( urlEncode )... no; and neither in
package HTTP
checking for module Test.QuickCheck( quickCheck )... in package
QuickCheck
checking for module Data.ByteString.Internal( fromForeignPtr )... yes
checking whether to use ByteString... yes
checking for module Control.Monad.Error... in package mtl
checking for module Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec... in package parsec
checking for module Text.Html... in package html
checking for module Data.Map... in package containers
checking getCurrentDirectory... uses /
checking for module System.Posix.Files( createLink )... yes
checking createDirectoryIfMissing... has createDirectoryIfMissing
checking renameFile... okay
checking for module Control.Exception( bracketOnError )... yes
checking for module System.Posix.Files( fileMode, getFileStatus,
setFileMode )... yes
checking for module System.Posix.Files( fileMode, getFileStatus,
setFileMode, setFileCreationMask )... yes
checking whether to optimize... yes
checking whether to use Haskell Program Coverage... no
checking whether to use mmap... yes
checking whether to do PackedString debugging... no
checking whether to build docs... yes
checking for latex... latex
checking for pdflatex... pdflatex
checking for dvips... dvips
checking for latex2html... latex2html
checking for sendmail... /usr/sbin/sendmail
checking for MAPISendMail in -lmapi32... no
checking for gadt type witnesses... yes
checking for library z... in -lz
checking for libcurl... 7.16.3
checking for curl_global_init in -lcurl... yes
checking for curl_multi_timeout in -lcurl... yes
checking whether to do libcurl debugging... no
checking for term.h... yes
checking for library containing tgetent... -lcurses
checking for gdiff... no
checking for gnudiff... no
checking for diff... diff
checking for makensis.exe... no
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for haddock... haddock
checking haddock version... version 2
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating autoconf.mk
config.status: creating src/Autoconf.lhs
config.status: creating tools/cgi/darcs.cgi
config.status: creating tools/cgi/README
config.status: creating tools/cgi/cgi.conf
config.status: creating release/darcs.spec
config.status: executing config.command commands

The build is configured as follows:

     bindir          = ${exec_prefix}/bin
     sbindir         = ${exec_prefix}/sbin
     mandir          = ${datarootdir}/man
     datadir         = ${datarootdir}
     sysconfdir      = ${prefix}/etc
     libexecdir      = ${exec_prefix}/libexec

     Build Manual    = yes

If you want to adjust any of these values, edit autoconf.mk and
src/Autoconf.lhs -- or run configure with appropriate settings.

redwing-dakota> make
rm -f Main.hi Main.o
[ghc] stringify
test -f src/Context.hs || echo unknown | ./stringify Context context >
src/Context.hs
perl release/determine_release_state.pl 2.0.2
2.0.2 (release)
Rebuild dependencies ...
test -f src/Context.hs || echo unknown | ./stringify Context context >
src/Context.hs
[ghc] src/ThisVersion.o
[ghc] src/Autoconf.o
[ghc] src/Context.o
[ghc] src/Workaround.o
[ghc] src/CommandLine.o
[ghc] src/FastPackedString.o
[ghc] src/Printer.o
[ghc] src/HTTP.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Bug.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/SignalHandler.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Global.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Show.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Sealed.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Ordered.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Progress.o
[ghc] src/Exec.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Utils.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Compat.o
[ghc] src/UTF8.o
[ghc] src/FileName.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/URL.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Lock.o
[ghc] src/URL.o
[ghc] src/IsoDate.o
[ghc] src/DateMatcher.o
[ghc] src/English.o
[ghc] src/FileSystem.o
[ghc] src/Lcs.o
[ghc] src/OldDate.o
[ghc] src/OldFastPackedString.o
[ghc] src/RegChars.o
[ghc] src/SHA1.o
[ghc] src/Ssh.o
[ghc] src/Crypt/SHA256.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/RepoPath.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/MatchData.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Flags.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/External.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/FilePathUtils.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/IO.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/CheckFileSystem.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/SlurpDirectory.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Repository/Prefs.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Info.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/ReadMonads.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Patchy.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Permutations.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Prim.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/ColorPrinter.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/FilePathMonad.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Core.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Commute.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/PopulationData.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Apply.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Show.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Viewing.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Read.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Non.o
[ghc] src/Darcs/Patch/Real.o

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:99:26:
     GADT pattern match in non-rigid context for `NilRL'
       Solution: add a type signature
     In the pattern: NilRL
     In the pattern: Just NilRL
     In a case alternative:
         Just NilRL
           -> ((\ imp_funny_name
                    -> imp_funny_name
                         ("src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs", 99, "04:51:12",
"Jun 25 2008"))
                 _bug)
                "found no patches in mergeUnravelled"

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:115:27:
     GADT pattern match in non-rigid context for `NilFL'
       Solution: add a type signature
     In the pattern: NilFL
     In a case alternative: NilFL -> Just p
     In the expression:
         case sort_coalesceFL $ effect p of
           NilFL -> Just p
           _ -> Nothing

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:134:32:
     GADT pattern match in non-rigid context for `NilFL'
       Solution: add a type signature
     In the pattern: NilFL
     In a case alternative: NilFL -> Just (NilFL, mapFL_FL Normal xs)
     In the expression:
         case sort_coalesceFL $ effect goneby of
           NilFL -> Just (NilFL, mapFL_FL Normal xs)
           _z -> Nothing

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:256:26:
     GADT pattern match in non-rigid context for `NilRL'
       Solution: add a type signature
     In the pattern: NilRL
     In a case alternative: NilRL -> []
     In the expression:
         case reverseFL $ xx2patches ix xx of
           NilRL -> []
           Normal q :<: qs -> [Non (reverseRL qs) q]
           _ -> []

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:370:82:
     deps  not in scope because it has a wobbly type (solution: add a
type annotation)
     In the first argument of `reverseRL', namely `deps'
     In the first argument of `Non', namely `(reverseRL deps)'
     In the expression: Non (reverseRL deps) pp

src/Darcs/Patch/Real.lhs:427:50:
     GADT pattern match in non-rigid context for `NilFL'
       Solution: add a type signature
     In the pattern: NilFL
     In a stmt of a pattern guard for
                  a case alternative:
         NilFL <- sort_coalesceFL $ effect c
     In a case alternative:
         ([], NilFL, Non c y)
           | NilFL <- sort_coalesceFL $ effect c
           -> Just (Normal y :> Conflictor a1'nop2 (y :>: NilFL) p2)
make: *** [src/Darcs/Patch/Real.o] Error 1
redwing-dakota>

If I omit the --without-type-witnesses switch, everything seems OK.
Unlike the case in issue 837, I can use --with-docs and --without-docs
without triggering the bug.

A fresh build from scratch with "./configure && make && make check"
gives the
following errors:

TESTS FAILED!
	whatsnew.sh
	replace-in-moved.sh
	pending-look-for-adds.sh
	issue525.sh
	get_to_match.sh
	either_dependency.sh

Please let me know if I should file bugs against any of these.

The hardware is MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM running OS X 10.5.3.

Best Wishes,
Greg

Gregory Wright
Antiope Associates LLC
18 Clay Street
Fair Haven, New Jersey 07704
USA

(732) 924-4549
1 (732) 345-8378 [fax]

files: unnamed
messages: 5143
nosy: beschmi, dagit, gwright, tommy
status: unread
title: Using --without-type-witnesses on 2.0.2 causes build failure on OS X 10.5.3.