[darcs-devel] help with buildbot on macos?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Mar 6 17:35:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:42:36PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:35:44PM -0500, Keith Browne wrote:
> > David Roundy wrote:
> > > Our macos buildbot (see http://darcs.net:8008/) is hanging when running
> > > steve_and_monica_rollback.sh.  I've no desire to track this down via the
> > > buildboby pushing printf-style debug tests to the central repository, so
> > > help with this would be appreciated.  Even a simple "I compiled darcs on
> > > macos with ghc 6.X and didn't have trouble running make test" would be
> > > helpful.
> > >
> > > Eric, you've got a Mac, don't you?
> > >
> > > It's a little frustrating to have a buildbot set up with no useful build
> > > slaves (where useful is defined as "has an apparent potential to allow me
> > > to diagnose, fix or prevent a bug").
> >
> > I'm running the OSX Tiger buildbot, and when I build Darcs on the same
> > machine, in the same account, with the same environment, the "make test"
> > runs to completion in *less* than the 1200 seconds the buildbot is
> > reporting a timeout after.  Could this be a problem with the buildbot
> > infrastructure on OSX?
>
> That's good news! I'm very glad to hear that this is not a bug in darcs!
> (particularly given that that particular test stresses the darcs-2 conflict
> handling...)
>
> And yes, I imagine it is a problem with the buildbot infrastructure, but
> have little idea how to debug this.  All I can think is to push a patch
> changing the tests to be very verbose by default, and see where it is
> hanging.  Or perhaps you could run the buildbot daemon under strace (if
> that exists on the mac?), and we could track what's going on that way.

I'm actually leaning towards simply removing this buildbot.  I've no idea
how to debug the problem, and given that so far as we can tell it's only an
unreproducible problem with the buildbot (meaning that we can't reproduce
it outside buildbot), it doesn't look like it's worth the (unknown) effort
to debug.

So unless someone steps forward with the necessary expertise to fix this,
I'll just call this buildbot a lost cause, thank Keith for supplying it to
us, and turn it off.  There's no point (that I can see) in leaving it
running.  Perhaps another macos buildbot will work.  It's certainly not
worth my time to debug it.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University