[darcs-devel] help with buildbot on macos?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Mar 6 19:36:34 UTC 2008

> I'm running the OSX Tiger buildbot, and when I build Darcs on the same
> machine, in the same account, with the same environment, the "make
> test"
> runs to completion in *less* than the 1200 seconds the buildbot is
> reporting a timeout after.  Could this be a problem with the buildbot
> infrastructure on OSX?

The buildslave executes the command as a subprocess -- details
including environment variables are displayed here:

http://darcs.net:8008/macos-tiger/builds/11/step-test/0

You could check to make sure that the environment variables and the
command line are the same.

If that checks out, then the only remaining thing that could explain
this discrepancy is something about the stdout/stderr pipes.  Perhaps
when you normally run it (under bash under Terminal.app I assume) the
stdout and stderr pipes are in a certain mode, and when it is run as
a subprocess of the buildslave the mode is different?

As I mentioned earlier, the first step would be to run the latest
version of buildbot .  Oh, but it would be the client-side
(buildslave side) buildbot, not the server-side (buildmaster side)
buildbot as I earlier suggested.

This description doesn't say what version of buildbot you are running:

http://darcs.net:8008/macos-tiger

I will open a ticket requesting that information be added to the
buildbot pages.  ;-)

http://buildbot.net/trac/ticket/197# (show version number of
buildslave buildbot code)

Meanwhile, could you please make sure that you are running the latest
stable buildbot code on the OSX Tiger buildslave?

Regards,

Zooko