[darcs-devel] [issue746] unrevert/reorder bug

Kevin Quick bugs at darcs.net
Wed Mar 12 21:16:14 UTC 2008

New submission from Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org>:

I haven't had time to try reproducing this, but I'm reporting it to see if
anyone else has run into a similar issue.

In an active tree:

$ darcs pull
... pull some new patches ...
$ darcs optimize --reorder
This operation will make unrevert impossible!
Proceed? [yn]n

darcs failed:  Cancelled to avoid unrevert catastrophe!
$ darcs unrevert
Backing up ./a/b/c/X-darcs-backup0
We have conflicts in the following files:
./a/b/c/X=
hunk ./a/b/c/X 20
-       old stuff
+       new stuff
Shall I unrevert this change? (1/?)  [ynWsfvpxdaqjkc], or ? for help: n
Skipped unrevert of 1 patch due to dependencies.
I'm about to write_unrevert.
Finished unreverting.
$

[Note that I didn't initially notice the conflicts report.  Why would unrevert
encounter a conflict, especially when I haven't indicated I wanted anything
done yet?!  The intention was just to see what was unrevertable... not to
actually effect any change.  Since I didn't notice the conflict problem, I
moved forward to request the optimization since I didn't care about the above
change:]

$ darcs optimize --reorder
Done optimizing!
$

[Here is where I got wise: it reordered without asking about destroying
unrevertability!  What happens if I do it again?]

$ darcs optimize --reorder
darcs: bug in get_extra commuting patch:
Wed Mar  5 15:11:46 MST 2008  Kevin Quick
  * blah blah blah
$

[Wow, didn't expect that.  Looking at the patch reported, it does not include
the a/b/c/X file that the unrevert had trouble with.]

$ darcs -v
2.0.0pre3 (unknown)
$ darcs --exact-version
darcs compiled on Feb  6 2008, at 23:31:19
unknown
$

[I have no idea why there was a conflict, although I assume that the stored
revert patch conflicted with some more recent patches applied to the tree.  So
let's try cleaning up:]

$ darcs check
The repository is consistent!
$ darcs w -l
a .a/b/c/X-darcs-backup0

[Nothing seems to be wrong, but is that true?]

$ darcs optimize --reorder
darcs: bug in get_extra commuting patch:
Wed Mar  5 15:11:46 MST 2008  Kevin Quick
  * blah blah blah
$

Yup, definite problems.

-KQ

nosy: beschmi, droundy, kowey, quick, tommy
status: unread
title: unrevert/reorder bug