[darcs-devel] Congrats: All Darcs-2 release-critical bugs resolved

Mark Stosberg mark at stosberg.com
Fri Mar 21 00:43:01 UTC 2008

Earlier today David Roundy resolved the last two open bugs that were
being marked as critical to address for the Darcs 2.0 release. You can
see the list of those bugs here:

http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?@columns=title,id,activity,status,assignedto&@sort=status&@group=priority&@filter=topic&@pagesize=50&@startwith=0&topic=24&@dispname=Fix%20For%20Darcs%202.0

That's great! Thanks for David for the final push to get to this
milestone.

At this point, I see three options to proceed with the project focus:

1. Release a "release candidate" for a a broader round of final
user testing.

2. Start the formal release process directly.

3 . Decide that other bugs are "release critical", mark them as such,
and continue bug fixing.

One bug I think deserves consideration for the 2.0 release is the
failure to build on Windows. Our Windows/Cygwin buildbot continues to fail
consistently:

http://darcs.net:8008/windows-cygwin/builds/39/step-compile/0

And we just got a very similar bug report for a build failure on Vista:
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue751

On the other hand, if there haven't been Windows developers around to
fix such a basic issue in the last few weeks, perhaps we shouldn't
expect them to appear soon to address it for a release.

If you have other suggestions about bugs to consider to release or
thoughts about whether to do a final Release-Candidate to go to directly
to release... speak up now.

I'm also sure there are final ChangeLog updates to make if someone wants
to help with that. I already did a large round of that work recently and
wouldn't mind passing that torch to someone else for the final updates.

Thanks again to all the developers, bug reporters and users for bring
darcs this far.

     Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/