[darcs-devel] Darcs record --dont-allow-conflicts ?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:40:09 UTC 2008

Excerpts from David Roundy's message of Fri Mar 28 15:00:49 +0100 2008:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 02:51:28PM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> > I  would  like  to  have  a  new option for commands like darcs record, namely
> > --dont-allow-conflicts.  The  purpose  is  to  help  guys  that  try  to avoid
> > conflicts  in  their  repositories,  or  want  to precisely know that they are
> > adding a patch resolution!
> >
> > This  option  will  then  forbid darcs to resolve a conflict, when recording a
> > patch with this option turned on.
>
> This would definitely require a better flag name, since you're not
> disallowing conflicts, you're talking about disallowing conflict
> resolutions.

You're  right  I  was  badly  trying to avoid introducing new names, but there
it's really resolutions that are forbidden.

> > I'm  likely  to  give  it a try, however one or two clues for starting will be
> > welcome.  In particular I would like to know if today's darcs code knows about
> > a conflict resolution when recording a change.
>
> No, darcs record knows nothing about conflicts.  You'd probably have to
> look at the mark-conflicts code to get an idea as to how darcs looks for
> existing conflicts (which is considerably harder than noticing new
> conflicts).

Ok so naively something like this could works:

  mypatch <- ...the patch we are about to record...
  oldr <- read_repo repository
  let oldres = patchset_conflict_resolutions oldr
  let newr = mypatch :<: oldr
  let newres = patchset_conflict_resolutions newr
  let diffres = oldres \\ newres
  print "Recording conflicts resolution forbidden (--dont-allow-resolutions)"
  print diffres
  fail

Perhaps  that one can even fail earlier by just checking oldres being empty or
not, this would give an approximation.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai