[darcs-devel] [issue772] bug in get_extra commuting patch

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 31 19:32:43 UTC 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:38 AM, David Roundy wrote:

> This is a duplicate of issue27.  It's debatable whether this is a
> bug in darcs
> or a bug in tailor.  Zooko would argue, I'm sure, that darcs
> shouldn't give you
> the power to shoot yourself in the foot.

My argument is that patch ids should be unique, so that it is
impossible for there to exist two different patches with the same
patch id.  This is a property that monotone guaranteed, which git
adopted, and which mercurial and bzr now offer as well.

It seems like it could be a useful property to rely upon.  It could
theoretically be used by a future version of darcs to
cryptographically verify the provenance of a repository, the way that
monotone and the others already do.

The "garbage" that David referred to in his note would be a secure
hash of the contents of the patch and the context of the patch, just
as is done in the other revision control tools.

Hopefully it wouldn't need to be encoded into the long patch
description itself, however, since that could collide with other uses
of the long patch description.  Hopefully the patch hash information
could be stored with the patch description in a separate field, just
like monotone and the others do.

Regards,

Zooko