[darcs-devel] [issue843] Darcs gzip error

Simon Peyton-Jones bugs at darcs.net
Fri May 9 09:47:00 UTC 2008

New submission from Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>:

Dear Darcs crew

I have a complete *not partial* repo for GHC (roughly, the HEAD).  Call it "NEW".

I unpacked a complete (not partial) old repo for GHC, ghc-HEAD-2007-08-29-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.  (It's available at darcs.haskell.org).  Call it "OLD".

So NEW has a lot of patches that OLD does not have, but all OLD patches are in NEW.  NEW has no conflicts.

These two repos are peer directories on my machine.  Then, in OLD I say
        darcs pull ../NEW -av

I get lots of output, and then a pause. Then disaster:

darcs failed:  problem gzopening file for write: _darcs/patches/20080126191939-e23c7-efc06647390321527cc18de0e08c017b568b36ae.gz-0

The same thing happens (but much more slowly) if I darcs pull from the true HEAD (at darcs.haskell.org).

 I thought of doing 'darcs check' on NEW, but that doesn't work because of a different (and well known) bug in darcs, to do with line endings:

sh-2.04$  darcs check
Applying patch 12 of 18450...
darcs failed:  Error applying hunk to file ./ghc/includes/rtsTypes.lh
Unapplicable patch:
Thu Jan 11 14:26:13 GMT Standard Time 1996  partain
  * [project @ 1996-01-11 14:06:51 by partain]
sh-2.04$

At this point I seem to be stuck.  All this is darcs 1.0.9 on Windows

Simon

nosy: beschmi, dagit, igloo, simonmar, simonpj, tommy
status: unread
title: Darcs gzip error