[darcs-devel] [issue860] wart, inconsistent formatting of hunks in darcs2 & hashed repos

Ben Coburn bugs at darcs.net
Sun May 18 13:15:10 UTC 2008

New submission from Ben Coburn <btcoburn at silicodon.net>:

The new patch format omits a linefeed before the first "atomic change". This
adds a totally unnecessary special case to patch parsing.

For example:

[repo change - file added
test at example.com**20080518092406] addfile ./foobar
hunk ./foobar 1
+junk test file....

[another test
test at example.com**20080518092520] hunk ./foobar 1
-junk test file....
+sdklfhsldajkdfhjjunk test file....

Should be:

[repo change - file added
test at example.com**20080518092406]
addfile ./foobar
hunk ./foobar 1
+junk test file....

[another test
test at example.com**20080518092520]
hunk ./foobar 1
-junk test file....
+sdklfhsldajkdfhjjunk test file....

"The cat is already out of the bag" so darcs will have to understand it both
ways. Still, I would like to see darcs format new patches consistently from now on.

Ideally darcs repair would quietly correct this.... However, I suspect
corrections would ripple back through the inventories and break repository
history (by cosmetically rewriting patch file hashes).

nosy: Serware, beschmi, btcoburn, dagit, tommy
priority: bug
status: unread
title: wart, inconsistent formatting of hunks in darcs2 & hashed repos
topic: Darcs2, Regression