[darcs-devel] [issue891] tracking history of each patch (patch reorder, safe amend-record)

phercek bugs at darcs.net
Sat May 31 14:50:31 UTC 2008

New submission from phercek <phercek at gmail.com>:

It would be nice if darcs could track history of patches so that we can get safe
amend record and patch reorder in cloned repositories.

A) Amend-record should be safe. This probably means that a hierarchy should be
added to patches. A patch (as seen in darcs log and other UI commands) should be
composed of a sequence of patches so that amending a patch would add the
"amendment" to it and it would not be a problem when the original patch was
already pushed (the "amendment" would get pushed the next time). It should be
possible to look at components of a patch. Kari Hoijarvi wishes to preserve the
destructive nature of amend-record so that unwanted or sensitive data are not
tracked. So the unsafe amend-record should be kept.

B) Allow patches which depend on each other to commute (by adding conflict
resolution). So if we have patches Porig Qorig in repository, we could change
their order to Qnew Pnew where Qnew would be actually a sequence like (Porig
Qorig Porig^') and Pnew would be (Porig Qorig Qnew^). These Qnew and Pnew should
replicate to cloned repositories without problem in a similar way as in option A
- as a patch to patch (maybe by transferring Porig^' and some associated info).
  Order P Q means P is first in the repository.
  ^ stands for inverse patch.
  ' stands for the patch on the opposite side of square.

This request represents (at least I believe so) a superior alternative to
mercurial queues or git rebase.

nosy: beschmi, dagit, phercek, tommy
priority: wishlist
status: unread
title: tracking history of each patch (patch reorder, safe amend-record)