[darcs-devel] What about integrating git-darcs-import?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Nov 9 12:32:45 UTC 2008

> I'll have a look at git-darcs-import which seems to be an even
> better solution to this problem.

I've talked to int-e and we've fixed some small things which were broken
due to using ByteStrings now.
git-darcs-import compiles again with current dev darcs version. It really
works great.

You can get the updated version from git://repo.or.cz/git-darcs-import.git.

on irc I've talked to lispy and he has said that it may be worth adding
a contrib section to the distribution or such?

On the other thing browsing darcs history in gitk is convinient and git
blame works on ghc sources within seconds so I find it that useful that
I'd like to see this command integrated into darcs so that it can be run
like

darcs to-git . ../git --bare

or such to get a git repo especially useful for running blame (= darcs
annotate) and gitk or qgit (history browsers)

Probably the user should have the possibility to enable/ disable this
feature at compilation time (?)

Before starting work on adding this feature I'd like to get to know how
you feel about it?

The benefits I see are that the dev team doesn't have to care about
annotate and nice history browsing tools right now (git can do that)
but maybe they can spend some more time on
 * making a darcs library (which make developping guis etc much easier later)
 * improving speed realibity, theory etc..

Getting a darcs library can be important because recently git has been
used to write a happs wiki.. If there had been a darcs lib maybe that
would have been used?

Sincerly
Marc Weber