[darcs-devel] [issue1214] conflict resolution patches don't "stand out"

Trent Buck bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 10 00:18:39 UTC 2008

New submission from Trent Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>:

Consider the transcript below.  If I pull only the first few patches,
I will get lots of conflicts and darcs will ask me to resolve them.
If I do, *my* conflict resolution will conflict with Eric's (in patch
5, I think)!  But if I pull *all* of the patches below, there are no
conflicts!

To me, this is a workflow problem.  I can easily see if a patch
introduces a conflict, but I can't easily see if a patch (and if so,
which one) resolves those conflicts.  The only hint is when the patch
name contains the word "conflict", which depends on the auspices of
the patch author.

This probably isn't a problem if I always "darcs pull --all".  But I
think that loses some nice benefits of using darcs.

$ darcs pull -s
Pulling from "http://darcs.net/unstable"...
[...]
Mon Oct 27 03:40:09 EST 2008  tux_rocker at reinier.de
  * add a get_unrecorded_in_files to check for unrecorded changes in a subset of working directory

    M! ./src/Darcs/Diff.hs -9 +11
    M! ./src/Darcs/Patch/FileName.lhs +2
    M! ./src/Darcs/Repository.lhs +2
    M! ./src/Darcs/Repository/Internal.hs -15 +27
Shall I pull this patch? (1/5)  [ynWvpxdaqjk], or ? for help: y
Mon Oct 27 06:06:12 EST 2008  tux_rocker at reinier.de
  * make get_unrecorded_private work with type witnesses again

    M ./src/Darcs/Repository/Internal.hs -5 +7
Shall I pull this patch? (2/5)  [ynWsfvpxdaqjk], or ? for help: y
Mon Oct 27 06:46:36 EST 2008  tux_rocker at reinier.de
  * make whatsnew use the lstat-saving functions to scan the working copy

    M ./src/Darcs/Commands/WhatsNew.lhs -5 +6
    M ./src/Darcs/Repository/Internal.hs -2 +2
Shall I pull this patch? (3/5)  [ynWvpxdaqjk], or ? for help: y
Sat Nov  1 08:59:44 EST 2008  Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de>
  * hopefully less buggy version of get_unrecorded_in_files

    M! ./src/Darcs/Commands/WhatsNew.lhs -15 +7
    M! ./src/Darcs/Diff.hs -15 +31
    M! ./src/Darcs/Repository/Internal.hs -11 +24
Shall I pull this patch? (4/5)  [ynWvpxdaqjk], or ? for help: y
Mon Nov 10 02:30:40 EST 2008  Eric Kow <E.Y.Kow at brighton.ac.uk>
  * Resolve conflicts (lstat vs de-literate)
  The conflits were between Reinier's lstat-saving patches on the one
  hand and the Diff haddockisation on the other.

    M ./src/Darcs/Diff.hs -1 +55
Shall I pull this patch? (5/5)  [ynWsfvpxdaqjk], or ? for help: y
Finished pulling and applying.

nosy: dagit, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, twb
status: unread
title: conflict resolution patches don't "stand out"