[darcs-devel] [issue1156] darcs apply should complain about pgp/gpg signed bundles

Jason Dagit bugs at darcs.net
Thu Oct 23 04:30:26 UTC 2008

New submission from Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com>:

If you don't have gpg installed and you try to apply a gpg signed patch bundle
darcs will correctly tell you that the hash on the patch bundle is wrong.
Actually, the problem is that you need to decrypt the bundle with gpg/pgp to
restore it to the original state.

It would be very nice if darcs told you that the bundle needs to be decrypted
instead of telling you it's corrupt!

Due to my ignorance about gpg bundles I've been getting "corrupt" bundles from
people for a while and I had absolutely no idea that it was gpg related.  I
think this shows that we could do stand to improve the error reporting here
substantially.

The easy quick fix is to have the current error message suggest trying gpg
--decrypt.  Another better solution would be to look for the signs that it was
gpg signed.

nosy: dagit, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur
priority: bug
status: need-volunteer
title: darcs apply should complain about pgp/gpg signed bundles