[darcs-devel] [issue1059] Wish for div-based (not table-based) layout for sidebar

Trent Buck bugs at darcs.net
Fri Sep 5 03:08:34 UTC 2008

New submission from Trent Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>:

Currently, darcs' roundup instance uses tables to force the navigation
sidebar to the left of the page content.  My browsers (w3m, emacs-w3m,
html2ps) generate EXTREMELY ugly output because they think that they
layout table is a *real* table -- that is, tabular data.

Using div-based layout (with appropriate CSS-based float directives)
would address this problem, because my browsers just ignore authors'
CSS.  The result would be that the sidebar DIV would simply be listed
at the bottom of the page.

PS: Ideally the sidebar would also be hidden for print-oriented
browsers @media=print { display: None; }; while this wouldn't affect
me personally, Gecko and Webkit users would probably get better print
versions.

Attached are example screenshots from emacs-w3m and html2ps
demonstrating the problem, and examples from wikipedia demonstrating
desirable layout.

files: Bimaristan.pdf, Bimaristan.txt, issue920.pdf, issue920.txt
messages: 5913
nosy: dagit, kowey, twb
status: unread
title: Wish for div-based (not table-based) layout for sidebar