[darcs-devel] [issue1084] wish: patch tracker

Jason Dagit bugs at darcs.net
Fri Sep 19 22:24:12 UTC 2008

New submission from Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com>:

Here is what I'm concretely proposing while admitting that I
don't yet know how much of this is possible:

1) We create the domain patches.darcs.net and it points at the bug
tracker (this is simply for consistency).
2) We create the email address patches at darcs.net to match
bugs at darcs.net (I can moderate this like I do darcs-users and bugs
already.)
3) We change the address for darcs send to patches at darcs.net
4) We add a new issue type, 'patch' to roundup.  IssueXXX can
reference patchYYY in it's description and vice versa.
5) We teach roundup how to look for status update commands in emails
for specific issues and patches.
6) New patch submissions are sent to darcs-users@ and droundy@ by
roundup instead of darcs send.
7) People have the option of replying to emails about the patch or
using roundup at http://patches.darcs.net/patchYYY

I need your feedback because I don't want to change your workflow or
make a hassle for you.  I need to know if the above changes would
negatively impact you but I don't know enough about how you apply
patches.

I was imagining that with the above setup it works like this:

I send in a patch to patches at darcs.net and it is assigned patch42 and
forwarded to darcs-users at .  Once the message gets to darcs-users@ you
respond with some feedback requesting an amend.  In your email you say
something like this, "roundup: patch42 amend required".  We can decide
on the syntax later.  This updates the patch status.  I revise the
patch and darcs send with, "roundup: patch42 amended" in the email or
I visit http://patches.darcs.net/patch42 and attach my amended patch
and you receive a new email with the patch attached.  We iterate like
this for a while, and then eventually you say, "Applied.  Thanks!" and
add "roundup: patch42 applied".  Now at
http://patches.darcs.net/patch42 we have the full history and I'm
happy.  Hopefully you are happy because you were able to continue
working via email with the minor modification of embedding status
updates in your emails.  Perhaps some of these status updates could
even be done via post-hooks or mutt commands.

nosy: dagit, kowey
priority: wishlist
status: unread
title: wish: patch tracker