[darcs-devel] Theory of Patches

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Thu Apr 9 21:54:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have two questions:

1. Where can I learn more about the theory of patches? I already read
the manual page (http://darcs.net/manual/node9.html). I have a math
background, so a research paper is fine.

2. Do patches have an internal representation that is context independent?

Earlier today I was asking on the users list about whether Darcs patches
could be signed. The idea is that if patches had (say) RSA signatures,
Darcs would get some of the cool data integrity features that some other
SCMs like Monotone have. The problem with signing patches is that the
patch looks different depending on context. So I'm trying to figure out
if there is some way to represent the patch that doesn't change between
one context and another.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.