[darcs-devel] [issue1517] Overhaul roundup statuses, priorities and keywords.

Trent W. Buck bugs at darcs.net
Mon Aug 10 02:34:49 UTC 2009

New submission from Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>:

When doing triage on this BTS, I'm bugged by the ambiguity of some of
the existing practices.  In particular,

 - The difference between feature and wishlist isn't obvious.

 - Why should any bug have status need-volunteer?  Surely every bug
   that's unresolved and unassigned IMPLICITLY needs a volunteer.

   More generally, since status and priority can (respectively) have
   only one value at a time (unlike topic), values for these fields
   should be defined such that they can never "overlap".

 - 'Control-C Ctrl-C C-c' is annoying because it's very long and
   contains spaces.

In the past I started to address these problems by basically trying to
make our BTS act like Debian's debbugs (http://bugs.debian.org).  This
was more disruptive than helpful, because it was undiscussed,
unilateral and incomplete.

Therefore I propose "doing it right", by spending some time looking at
other BTSes, stealing their best practices, and working out a coherent
vision of how we want our BTS to work.

Oh, and in the short term, the BTS should probably link to the wiki's
BugTracker* pages, which explain the semantics of current statuses,
priorities and topics.

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, twb
status: unread
title: Overhaul roundup statuses, priorities and keywords.