[darcs-devel] [issue1529] mechanism to detect partial repositories

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sun Aug 16 22:29:39 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

I realise that partial repositories are going away, but I wonder if it would be
useful nonetheless to detect when a repository is partial.

One silly option might be to count the contents of _darcs/patches; if there are
fewer files in there than expected patches, then we know it's partial.  (On the
other hand, we don't necessarily know if it's full if there are >= files, I
don't think, but maybe this is good enough).

The problem is that this does no good for remote repositories.  But what if we
snuck in a feature into darcs apply that does this counting and creates a file
like _darcs/partial to signal to other darcs that this repo is partial?

This sort of mechanism could be handy for issue145 but perhaps looking more into
the future, it could be used as a means to encourage people to upgrade to hashed
repositories?

I'm marking this as need-action because I think it requires commentary from
darcs-users, so somebody should seek that commentary and update this bug on what
to do next.

messages: 8189
nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur
priority: feature
status: need-action
title: mechanism to detect partial repositories
topic: Partial