[darcs-devel] [issue1550] general purpose command line parsing library

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat Aug 22 00:35:18 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

I think we need a tracker entry for this until it finds its own home.

I want to see somebody design a proper library for dealing with command line
arguments in which consist of a command such as "whatsnew" or "record" (and
subcommands, "show repo") and arguments for that command/subcommand.

Features we would need/want
 * commands (darcs whatsnew) and subcommands (darcs show repository)
 * disambiguation (darcs wh)
 * hidden commands (darcs transfer mode)
 * basic vs advanced commands
 * default arguments
 * etc (note that we probably can't realistically rely on the library to do
everything, but the more we can reasonably outsource the better)

For now we can use this as a place-holder for all the features we'd like to see
in this.  Once somebody decides to take more action and give this idea its own
home, we can close this ticket as a duplicate or re-purpose it for adopting that
library.

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur
priority: not-our-bug
status: need-action
title: general purpose command line parsing library