[darcs-devel] [issue1559] ability to group/ungroup primitive patches within a named patch

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Aug 23 20:46:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Eric Kow wrote:

> See msg7230 by Ganesh.
>
> This needs UI design.

Hmm, not sure I understand the title of this bug. Less helpfully, I'm not
even sure I remember what I was getting at in the above mentioned message
:-)

I *think* it was a general desire to be able to force commutation even
when there's a dependency. Typically, as in the linked issue, the
dependency is only in a few of the primitive patches and you'd still like
to cherry-pick the rest and sort out the resulting conflict for bits that
really did conflict.

Making this possible is dependent on quite a technical property of the
underlying patch theory, namely whether you can invert the patches that
represent conflicts (be they mergers in darcs 1, conflictors in darcs 2
format repos, or whatever it is in camp). It also requires a good UI on
top of it so as not to cause general confusion. No version of darcs or
camp has the UI, and I'm not entirely certain of which of the patch
theories support the inversion property.

Cheers,

Ganesh