[darcs-devel] [issue332] wish: ask to record if tests fail

Mark Stosberg bugs at darcs.net
Wed Aug 26 01:51:02 UTC 2009

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> added the comment:

> This request seems motivated by a basic frustration of having to re-do your
> patch selection after a record fails.
>
> Brent, Mark, Jason: it sounds like issue1052 (which proposes a mechanism by
> which you could save your selection and then --retry) would cover some of the
> stuff you've suggested in this ticket.  Please comment if this is not the case.

I agree that Josh's original proposal is best here. To repeat it:

It allows you to be able to decide after the tests have failed whether or
not to record the patch. You could unrecord if it turns out the
patch is fundamentally flawed, or you could amend-record if the fix is
obvious. Example:

 Looks like you have a bad patch: My slightly flawed patch
 Shall I record it anyway? [yN]

> For what it's worth, I usually dislike adding confirmation prompts, but here I
> think Josh's initial proposal of prompting when there is a test failure is the
> simplest one, i.e. better than having extra flags.

Hopefully, the common cases are that either the tests all pass, or that you
give a flag not to run them at all (because you know for example you are
modifying documentation and not code). So, the extra confirmation prompt should
be rare, and hopefully a time-saver overall if you do want to record anyway
some of the time.

Eric, thanks for your work tending the bug tracker lately!

    Mark