[darcs-devel] [issue504] wish: Problem with darcsdir distribution when using SSH_PORT

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Thu Aug 27 15:44:04 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Update as requested:

1. Original msg1971 observed that the Darcs assumption that ssh accepts -p
breaks for putty (which takes -P).  This is now taken over by issue1371

2. issue362 is slightly related dealing with a commercial SSH that has different
feelings about -B/-b than OpenSSH

3. David proposed that Darcs to include native support for URLs like:
putty://droundy@darcs.net:foo/bar which may eliminate the problem of how to
figure out which SSH we're talking to. (Now issue1576)

4. This later expanded to a proposal that Darcs support URL format like
sftp://droundy@darcs.net:10022/foo/bar (issue1575)

5. David seized on #4 to generalise away #3, suggesting that the
putty-recognition code be moved out to third party wrapper called via the
DARCS_GET_FOO mechanism.

4. Dennis implemented putty wrapper scripts (in Haskell) at:  darcs get
http://malsyned.net/repos/darcsputty

5. I'll note that in Darcs-2 we introduced darcs transfer-mode which makes it
seem like just relying on DARCS_GET_FOO would be problematic (performance-wise).

I think all the pieces of this issue are in separate tickets now, so I'm closing
this as a duplicate

nosy: +eivuokko, jaredj, kirby, wglozer
status: deferred -> duplicate
superseder: +accept URL format for ssh repos (eg sftp://droundy@darcs.net:10022/foo/bar), darcs assumes -p for SSH_PORT; but putty takes -P, use SSH URL to distinguish between ssh implementations