[darcs-devel] [issue1585] hashed repo whatsnew much slower on Windows and Linux

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Fri Aug 28 16:33:04 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

>From Simon Marlow on
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-August/021058.html
:

$ darcs show repo
           Type: darcs
         Format: hashed
           Root: d:/builds/ghc-testing
       Pristine: HashedPristine
          Cache: thisrepo:d:/builds/ghc-testing, cache:C:\Documents and
Settings\simonmar\Application Data\darcs\cache
boringfile Pref: .darcs-boring
Default Remote: x:/ghc-HEAD
    Num Patches: 21106
$ time darcs w -s
No changes!

real    0m3.126s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.015s
$ darcs --version
2.3.0 (release)

Compared to Linux, where the time is ~0.25s.  These are all local
filesystems.

-----------

So we've eliminated issue973 and we're using local drives only and we have
Petr's issue1202 patches.  So what's a reasonable way to attack this?

Why are we fast on Linux and slow on Windows?

I guess we can start with profiling.

Simon: what happens when you run whatsnew a second time?  Could it be some need
to build the index first and then use it later?

nosy: darcs-devel, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, mornfall, simonmar
priority: bug
status: need-action
title: hashed repo whatsnew much slower on Windows and Linux
topic: Hashed, Performance