[darcs-devel] [issue1583] tell users to upgrade server side to hashed format

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Fri Aug 28 18:01:57 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Hmm, Duncan pointed out that msg8573 wasn't very clear.

1. I think darcs get of a hashed repo will be faster than darcs get
old-fashioned with the current Darcs 2.3 behaviour of converting it to hashed.
At least, if the server side was hashed we'd be able to use --lazy plus the caches

2. Darcs should notice that it's in the middle of performing such a conversion
and say something to the effect of "if you could persuade the maintainer of
REMOTE-REPO-PATH to darcs optimize --hashed, darcs get will be faster"

It's best if issue1584 was implemented so that the message in #2 can be very
simple, but you can work on this independently of it

superseder: +optimize --hashed