[darcs-devel] [issue1591] more compact filenames for hashed files

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sun Aug 30 12:47:16 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

Simon observed that our hashed filenames:
  0000000118-62c65c4f3a826447735efc3fd96db15456fffab0627d389cdc2ab34e8bf1452b
are rather silly due to our use of base16 for the filehash part of the name

Shorter filenames would mean faster filesystem operations.

NB: this won't work if you're using an encoding such as base64 with both lower
and upper case characters (case insensitive file systems?).

Base32 is probably the way to go.

[there was some discussion on using base64 with our own custom encoding, ie.
replacing something other than letters to avoid case problems, but that's
probably going to be problematic]

messages: 8596
nosy: darcs-devel, dmitry.kurochkin, ganesh, kowey, simonmar
priority: wishlist
status: need-implementation
title: more compact filenames for hashed files
topic: Hashed, Performance