[darcs-devel] [issue1589] darcs unpull --last=1 takes 7 seconds

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Mon Aug 31 09:06:15 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

(Simon: by the way, is it faster with the old-fashioned repo?)

Marking need-action as I think there are two specific questions that we can
begin by answering:

1. Where do the two optimizes come from in the code?
2. Why are there two of them?

I believe the answer to #1 is that it comes from an explicit call somewhere in
unpull and maybe an implicit one introduced to fix issue873 or issue433.  I'm
not sure if these are the right tickets or if there even are tickets.  Try darcs
changes -p optimize.

As for #2, I believe it's just historical accident.  One was specific and
introduced first; the second was generic and introduced next, but we never got
rid of the specific one.  See, for example:

Wed Mar 19 16:02:23 GMT 2008  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * we don't need extra call to optimizeInventory in Tag.

So do we have another instance of this? Or this state of affairs necessary for
any particular reason?

status: unknown -> need-action