[darcs-devel] [issue1304] The knowledge of the patch may have to include knowledge of its context or it will fail to have an inverse

Sassan Mohseni bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 6 17:45:11 UTC 2009

New submission from Sassan Mohseni <Sassan_M1 at VERIFONE.com>:

Hi,

I am not sure if this is really a defect, but the statement :
The most fundamental and simple property of patches is that they must be
invertible. The inverse of a patch is described by: P-1. In the darcs
implementation, the inverse is required to be computable from knowledge
of the patch only, without knowledge of its context
found in http://darcs.net/manual/node9.html#SECTION00940000000000000000
can be universally held to be true.

What I have in mind is a patch P which deletes from a given directory a
file which has a context made up of a long history of hunk patches .

According to darcs implementation requirement the knowledge of this
patch would have to include the latest content of the removed file
(knowledge which is embedded in its context) as well as its name and
parent directory.

Is this correct?

Sassan

files: unnamed
messages: 7004
nosy: Sassan_M1, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur
status: unread
title: The knowledge of the patch may have to include knowledge of its context or it will fail to have an inverse