[darcs-devel] [issue26] Darcs needs real MIME parsing, fails with Mail.app, Courier

Mark Stosberg bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jan 8 18:06:44 UTC 2009

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> added the comment:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:32:59 -0000
Zooko <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:

> Zooko <zooko at zooko.com> added the comment:
>
> I just learned that darcs patches submitted to my mailing list by a contributor
> are not usable.  The new information -- to me -- is that it has nothing to do
> with the mail user agent used on the receiving side (I currently use Apple
> Mail.app, unfortunately).  Even if I log into the server which hosts the mailing
> list and copy the mail out of its /var/lib/mailman file, the patch still doesn't
> apply.  Here is the patch I wanted to apply, attached as patch.txt.bz2, and here
> is the output from darcs apply:
>
> $ darcs apply -v -v -v patch.txt
>
> darcs failed:  Patch bundle failed hash!
> This probably means that the patch has been corrupted by a mailer.
> The most likely culprit is CRLF newlines.

It seems useful in this case to have the send use "darcs send -O" to output the
patch outside of the mail system, and then gzip it to give it you, and compare
that with the result you found in /var/lib/mailman.

Then you can see for certain if the issue originated in darcs, or if the patch
was modified by another tool, and what exactly the modification was.

    Mark