[darcs-devel] [issue1319] roundup: add <link rel=next> links

Trent Buck bugs at darcs.net
Sat Jan 17 01:30:58 UTC 2009

New submission from Trent Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>:

The HTML standards describe LINK tags with the REL attribute set to a
specific keyword, to define relationships between pages of a document
that spans multiple pages.  These links are seen for example in
docbook output, and on google's search result pages.

They are useful in Opera and Emacs-W3M, where pressing SPC scrolls
down one page length -- unless you are at the bottom of the page, in
which case it jumps to the next page.

So for example, if I am looking at a google result page, and don't see
anything interesting, I keep hitting SPC to scroll down.  Jumping to
the next page (link rel=next) at th end of a page makes it "feel" more
like a single coherent document.

This approach would be very welcome on roundup result pages, too,
where the number of bugs in a search doesn't fit on a single page.  So
for example when I browse to

    http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?creator=twb&@pagesize=20

it shows 20 of 52 bugs; pressing SPC would take me to

    http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?creator=twb&@startwith=20&@pagesize=20

and from that page, pressing DEL (Backspace) would scroll up or take
me back to the previous page in the result sequence.

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, twb
status: unread
title: roundup: add <link rel=next> links