[darcs-devel] [issue1487] Adopt GNU Gettext for i18n and l10n

Trent Buck bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jul 7 08:20:14 UTC 2009

New submission from Trent Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>:

Currently users can only interact with Darcs in English.  We should
(eventually) implement internationalization (i18n) and localization
(l10n) so that interact with Darcs in their native language.

I believe a de facto FOSS standard for this is GNU gettext, though I
don't know if it is available for Haskell yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_gettext
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

Rationale (copied straight from gettext's homepage):

    Usually, programs are written and documented in English, and use
    English at execution time for interacting with users. [...] Using
    a common language is quite handy for communication between
    developers, maintainers and users from all countries. On the other
    hand, most people are less comfortable with English than with
    their own native language, and would rather be using their mother
    tongue for day to day's work, as far as possible. Many would
    simply love seeing their computer screen showing a lot less of
    English, and far more of their own language.

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, twb
status: unread
title: Adopt GNU Gettext for i18n and l10n