[darcs-devel] [issue1477] please speed up "darcs query contents"

Zooko bugs at darcs.net
Wed Jun 3 22:39:55 UTC 2009

New submission from Zooko <zooko at zooko.com>:

There follows a message that I wrote to the darcs-users mailing
list.  Eric Kow asked me to open a ticket for it, so here it is.  He
also asked what parameters cause this to be slow.  I think, but am
not sure, that the main issue is a deep history.  Projects which have
many thousands of patches seem more likely to be slow.

Regards,

Zooko

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com>
> Date: May 27, 2009 10:26:07 AM MDT
> To: Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
> users at darcs.net>
> Subject: Re: [darcs-users] Hashed-storage & darcs 2.3 (Was; Re: 2.3
> release	schedule)
>
> I have a request:  speed up the operations which users have to wait
> on when they browse a darcs repository through trac, and deploy it
> as soon as possible!
>
> For example, the front page of http://darcs.net has a link to this
> page:
>
> http://allmydata.org/trac/darcs-2/browser
>
> If you load that page, trac issues the darcs commands like these:
>
> 2009-05-27 09:15:14,095 Trac[command] DEBUG: cd /home/source/darcs/
> darcs-2/trunk-hashedformat; TZ=UTC darcs --version
> 2009-05-27 09:15:14,244 Trac[command] DEBUG: cd /home/source/darcs/
> darcs-2/trunk-hashedformat; TZ=UTC darcs query contents --quiet --
> match "hash 20090513075931-
> c31ef-94cc8b3d6a88ae270963d60d6d5426bd0bda7245.gz" "GNUmakefile"
> 2009-05-27 09:15:14,638 Trac[command] DEBUG: cd /home/source/darcs/
> darcs-2/trunk-hashedformat; TZ=UTC darcs query contents --quiet --
> match "hash 20090513075931-
> c31ef-94cc8b3d6a88ae270963d60d6d5426bd0bda7245.gz" "configure.ac"
>
> If there are enough files which have been changed since the last
> time trac queried darcs and cached the result, then this can take
> many seconds.  While it is processing, other users of the same trac
> will get a "database is locked" error if they try to view the same
> repository.  On some repositories that I use, it takes more than 30
> seconds and trac times-out (believing that the database or revision
> control tool must have locked up) and gives an error message.
>
> Also if you view the contents of a file like this:
>
> http://allmydata.org/trac/darcs-2/browser/src/darcs.tex
>
> Or the history of a file or directory, like this:
>
> http://allmydata.org/trac/darcs-2/log/src/darcs.tex
>
> Then trac will issue a 'darcs query contents --match "hash ..."'
> command.
>
> So, it would be great for me if 'darcs query contents --match
> "hash ..."' were as fast as possible, and if this speed-up were
> released in a stable and completely bug-free new version of darcs
> as soon as possible.  ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, zooko
status: unread
title: please speed up "darcs query contents"