[darcs-devel] [issue555] wish: cheap in-repo local branches

Mark Stosberg bugs at darcs.net
Thu Mar 5 15:27:31 UTC 2009

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> added the comment:

I used git for a project recently (by requirement, not by choice) and although I
detested how much branching was required compared to darcs, I appreciated the
"in-repo" branch management.

My own primary darcs-managed project is big and active enough that I now need to
have a feature-branch regularly, and can't get by with just spontaneous branches.

My first approach was to just "darcs get" into a new directory, but then I
realized I needed a whole new set of Apache & and project configuration details
to match the new directory name.

So my branch management in darcs now looks like this, to switch from my trunk to
a branch:

mv working trunk; mv branch working

Yes, I'm just swapping directories in and out to the same location. It works OK,
and at some level I like the simplicity of it. But from another angle, the git
approach of being aware of branches and managing them is also appealing.

That said, at this point I don't have specific suggestions for how the darcs UI
might handle something like this, and I would want to consider that carefully
before deciding that we should really have this feature.