[darcs-devel] [issue1409] Support OpenSSH for Windows

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat Mar 28 16:08:54 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

This is related to issue29, but it's not the same thing because the SSH
in question is a native build from http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net

I've had a chat with Aldekein (a patch-tag.com user on Windows) about
this due to some recent trouble he was having he was having with SSH
http://groups.google.com/group/patch-tag-users/browse_thread/thread/6fd28c25596297a2

We've established that
 - using Putty to convert a Putty-generated key to OpenSSH format
 - storing the key in
     c:\Documents and Settings\.ssh\id_rsa
   lets you make a connection

Now here's the infuriating thing.  Why do we get this hang?

> It runs c:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin\ssh.exe as
> "ssh" "Aldekein at patch-tag.com" "darcs" "transfer-mode" "--repodir" "/r/myevil/"
>
> And gets a silence...
> Not even Ctrl+с interruptable. I have to kill both processes.

(Now I'm not claiming that we should necessarily try to support OpenSSH, but we
 should at least make a conscious decision about it.  Maybe it'll make our
 lives easier since we then could consider making it the preferred SSH
 utility since our code was all written with OpenSSH in mind?  In my opinion,
 darcs should be pretty shameless about limiting the kinds of variables it
 has to contend with, as long as we can do so without imposing too great a
 burden on our users)

nosy: aldekein, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, thorkilnaur, zooko
status: unread
title: Support OpenSSH for Windows