[darcs-devel] [issue1461] case-folding can lead to working directory corruption

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat May 16 06:50:12 UTC 2009

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

This report is spun out from issue1453.

See also the discussion in <20090513024353.GB46881 at dewdrop.local>
or http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-May/019695.html

The corruption in question is that patches to two different files (foo
vs Foo) can be applied to the same working directory file.  I've
attached a script that demonstrates this.  I believe Trent has a nicer
version and would like him to submit it.

With old fashioned repositories, the problem is more severe (pristine
can get corrupted).  Hashed repositories are affected "only" on the
level of the working directory.

This is a long-term bug with a very invasive fix.  This means that it is
likely to be resolved in darcs 3.  It's not specifically dependent on
patch theory 3 (aka the one used in camp), so the only reason to
postpone releasing a fix is strategic.

nosy: dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, simon, simonpj, thorkilnaur
status: unread
title: case-folding can lead to working directory corruption