[darcs-devel] [issue1470] Allow to amend-record patch by removing some hunks

Dmitry Astapov bugs at darcs.net
Wed May 27 21:32:14 UTC 2009

Dmitry Astapov <dastapov at gmail.com> added the comment:

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Nicolas Pouillard <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:

> You can workaround this shortcoming, that's a bit manual though...
>
> You have to manually undo the hunks you want to remove. You can do so by
> looking at the recorded change using 'darcs change --last 1 -p' and
> copy/pasting the removed part to make the current version again. Then
> doing a 'darcs amend-record' would show you hunks to add that should
> be coalesced with the original one leading to no change at all in the
> resulting patch (sometimes coalescing is not smart enough though).

Well, I could do even better, saving the patch to file and using emacs'
excellent ediff mode to selectively apply hunks from the patch. That is, if
I am working at my linux notebook.

However, if I am not armed with some nifty tools this manual mode workaround
is a royal PITA.

After all, it is possible to do version control through some carefull
copying of files between lots of directories, but nobody wants to do that,
everybody want tools. So I still think that darcs, being a powerful tool,
should have powerful amend-record, lest git users put us to shame ;)