[darcs-devel] error with upgraded 2.3.1 or repo darcs

Kevin Quick quick at sparq.org
Fri Nov 6 04:32:09 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

I've got a repo that I've been using for some time with darcs 2.2.
I just tried upgrading to darcs 2.3.1, but I get the following error:

$ darcs w --debug --verbose
Beginning identifying repository .
Done identifying repository .
Identified darcs-1 repo: /Mount/Work/per_4_3x
Beginning reading pristine
darcs: Codec.Compression.Zlib: premature end of compressed stream
$

Using strace, I discovered the pristine file it's trying to access,
which turns out to be an empty file, and it's the only one:

$ file ./_darcs/pristine.hashed/* | grep -v gzip
./_darcs/pristine.hashed/da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709:                                    empty
$

A darcs check indicates the repo is fine, and a darcs repair does
nothing.  I suspect this hash entry corresponds to the hashed-storage
file representation of an empty file to the repo, but I can't be sure.

Is this a known issue?  Do I need to do an update step?  I get this
problem with both 2.3.1 and with the latest repo, in conjunction with
hashed-storage 0.3.9 and 0.4.1.

Thanks!

-KQ