[darcs-devel] [issue1677] pristine problems with darcs 2.3

Kevin Quick bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 9 00:26:52 UTC 2009

New submission from Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org>:

Recently upgraded from darcs 2.2.0 to darcs 2.3.1... and can no longer work
with one of my repos.

$ /Programs/Darcs/2.3.1/bin/darcs w --debug
/Mount/Work/per_dtest/_darcs/prefs/sources
Beginning identifying repository .
Done identifying repository .
/Mount/Work/per_dtest/_darcs/prefs/sources
Identified darcs-1 repo: /Mount/Work/per_dtest
darcs: Codec.Compression.Zlib: premature end of compressed stream
$

strace makes it look like the following file is at fault:
$ file _darcs/pristine.hashed/* | grep empty
_darcs/pristine.hashed/
da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709:
empty

$ time /Programs/Darcs/2.2.0/bin/darcs check
The repository is consistent!

real    0m32.775s
user    0m27.049s
sys     0m1.278s
$ time /Programs/Darcs/2.3.1/bin/darcs check
The repository is consistent!

real    0m38.155s
user    0m33.945s
sys     0m1.910s
$

And as check implies, a repair does nothing because it believes the repository
is OK.  If I remove the above file from the pristine.hashed, both 2.2.0 and
2.3.1 checks still report consistency and 2.3.1 whatsnew works.  I'm very
hesitant to continue in this mode though...

Unfortunately, I cannot supply this repository for testing.

nosy: darcs-devel, dmitry.kurochkin, quick
priority: bug
status: unknown
title: pristine problems with darcs 2.3