[darcs-devel] [issue1678] performance regression in check/whatsnew/record (2.3.x)

Kevin Quick bugs at darcs.net
Sat Nov 14 05:22:57 UTC 2009

Kevin Quick <quick at sparq.org> added the comment:

4843 files + 260 dirs = 5103 elements
max depth ~= 6-7 directories deep

Timing is quite interesting now: I'm running this on the repo that I issued a
darcs repair on using the latest dev darcs (to fix issue1677).  The repair
seems to have made 2.2.0 a little slower but 2.3.1 much faster... especially
after the first run:

$ time /Programs/Darcs/2.2.0/bin/darcs w
No changes!

real    0m7.720s
user    0m7.138s
sys     0m0.870s

$ time /Programs/Darcs/2.3.1/bin/darcs w
No changes!

real    0m3.656s
user    0m1.148s
sys     0m0.127s

$ time /Programs/Darcs/2.3.1/bin/darcs w
No changes!

real    0m0.152s
user    0m0.123s
sys     0m0.028s

And the latest dev darcs is even faster:

$ time /Mount/KWQ/darcs.latest/dist/build/darcs/darcs w
No changes!

real    0m1.174s
user    0m1.041s
sys     0m0.121s

$ $ time /Mount/KWQ/darcs.latest/dist/build/darcs/darcs w
No changes!

real    0m0.042s
user    0m0.022s
sys     0m0.017s

So it would seem that the darcs repair was needed to enable this performance
boost.  The darcs 2.3.1 repair was unsuccessful and didn't result in the
speedup, but the current dev version is rocket fuel.

I'll try to install cabal soon to run the darcs-benchmark.