[darcs-devel] [issue1644] darcs send doesn't play well with utf8

era eriksson bugs at darcs.net
Mon Oct 26 21:18:56 UTC 2009

era eriksson <era+darcs at iki.fi> added the comment:

For the record, any sane version of sed should read its standard input by
default, so you have a case of Useless Use of Cat.  The following should suffice.

  sed "s%text/x-darcs-patch;%text/x-darcs-patch;
    charset=utf-8;%" | /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t

As far as the MIME encoding is concerned, there really is no need to put the
charset= parameter on a separate line; if you do that anyway, do take care that
there is at least one space before "charset=".

(Also note the use of alternate delimiters in sed's s%%% command in order to
avoid having to backslash-escape the literal slashes.  Furthermore, note that
options to sendmail may vary from one system to another.)

> PS. I also wonder if we could have a simple workaround by systematically
> placing a non ISO8859-1 representable character, say 暝, in the description.

I don't see how that is supposed to help.  Could you please elaborate on this idea?

nosy: +era