[darcs-devel] [issue1659] whatsnew -l falsely(?) reports R files (2.3.1)

Zooko bugs at darcs.net
Sat Oct 31 15:14:04 UTC 2009

Zooko <zooko at zooko.com> added the comment:

"As for the other problem with unapplicable patches, that's reasonable given
that you have different patches in the branches under the same names. This
either tends to lead to "bug in get_extra" or unapplicable hunks (or both).
That's why the documentation says that you should never amend published
patches."

It seems to me that darcs ought to give a clearer error message in the case of
different patches under the same name.  But, that's not what is happening, see:

HACK Wonwin-McBrootles-Computer:~/playground/pycryptopp/pycryptopp$ time darcs
push --dry-run
Would push to "zooko at 192.168.1.100:playground/pycryptopp/pycryptopp"...
No recorded local changes to push!

real    0m13.964s
user    0m0.046s
sys     0m0.039s
HACK Wonwin-McBrootles-Computer:~/playground/pycryptopp/pycryptopp$ time darcs
pull --dry-run
Would pull from "zooko at 192.168.1.100:playground/pycryptopp/pycryptopp"...
Would pull the following changes:
Fri Oct 30 16:27:09 MDT 2009  zooko at zooko.com
  * aes: add pycryptopp.cipher.aes.start_up_self_test() which runs some quick
tests and raises an exception if they fail
  This was suggested by "Practical Cryptography" (2nd edition) by Ferguson,
Schneier, and Kohno.  Now that we've had several different bugs in pycryptopp
that this would have caught, I've decided it is a good idea.  Users of
pycryptopp are advised to execute start_up_self_test() once after the import
pycryptopp and before they use it.

Fri Oct 30 22:06:26 MDT 2009  zooko at zooko.com
  * rsa: add pycryptopp.publickey.rsa.start_up_self_test() which runs some quick
tests and raises an exception if they fail
  This was suggested by "Practical Cryptography" (2nd edition) by Ferguson,
Schneier, and Kohno.  Now that we've had several different bugs in pycryptopp
that this would have caught, I've decided it is a good idea.  Users of
pycryptopp are advised to execute start_up_self_test() once after they import
pycryptopp and before they use it.

Fri Oct 30 22:29:39 MDT 2009  zooko at zooko.com
  * ecdsa: fix a bug in the one of the unit tests which caused it to not-test
what it was supposed to

Making no changes:  this is a dry run.

real    0m14.121s
user    0m0.045s