[darcs-devel] [issue814] darcs whatsnew -s does too much work

Jason Dagit bugs at darcs.net
Wed Sep 2 06:07:07 UTC 2009

Jason Dagit <none> added the comment:

This is very much related to the bad performance of "initial imports".

What is really happening here is that when we read the pending we try to eagerly
construct the pending patches.  This is why the attached patch works.  It adds
an explicit short circuit so that the pending patches are not constructed.
While this may very well solve the problem in this case, we should look at a
more fundamental solution.

See this thread for discussion:
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-August/021076.html

In summary, we could apply the patch here (as a bandaid, assuming the summary is
still correct), but even if we do that we need to redesign the reading of
pending because it has wider impact than whatsnew.

Also, to answer Eric's question:  Yes, I suspect issue711 is related.  I haven't
spent time debugging that issue, but if it is also constructing pending patches
then the problem is related.

nosy: +dagit