[darcs-devel] [issue1607] handle renames (and adds/removes) in darcs diff

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Wed Sep 16 12:38:46 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 17:59:38 +0000, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> > 2. Would it cost us a lot to do individual diffs?
>
> I doubt it; we wouldn't need to do any diffs at all for unchanged files ...

That's a good point which I had not considered.
It also relieves some of my concerns about diff-command below.
Thanks!

> > 3. What about --diff-command; does that mean we lose repository-based diffs?

> I figure that just means you run the diff command on each pair of
> source/dest, where source/dest are possibly at different paths within
> their repositories; I'm not sure what should be done for added/removed
> files, though.

Tools like Apple's opendiff and meld can do a directory-wide diff, which
is actually quite handy.  I think I was just worried about an
interaction where darcs automatically spawns a new diff window for each
file that's changed.

Now that you've brought up the point about unchanged files, I think it
makes sense for somebody to just roll up their sleeves and try tackling
this (no big open questions to answer).  The same person could also do
us a big favour by sorting a bunch of other minor issues calling
--external-merge.

priority: bug -> feature
status: need-action -> need-implementation
title: darcs diff does not interact well with renames, adds, or removals -> handle renames (and adds/removes) in darcs diff