[darcs-devel] [issue1103] lossy conversion warnings during darcs convert

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat Apr 3 11:59:28 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Right now ``darcs help convert`` about what the convert command does,
what the consequences of running it are and how to go about it.

To polish it off, we just need a word about why "lossy conversion"
warnings get printed out and what it means for the user (no longer be
able to retrieve both sides of the conflict).

Say you have patch X and you want to pull patch Y on top of it (but X
and Y conflict).  The net result after all the inverse and commutation
dance is done is that your "Y" patch is a merger which (a) notes down X
and Y (b) has the effect -X.  From the user point of view, lossy
conversions mean that they no longer see the Y that they pulled, just
the -X on top of their X.

I think it's safe to just make a first stab explaining what lossy
conversions mean for the user and have a patch theory geek review it.

I'm making Ganesh nosy to this documentation ticket because of issue1809
(which may make conversions less lossy)

nosy: +ganesh
topic: +Conflicts