[darcs-devel] [issue1519] darcs mv patches get sorted in alphabetical order, not order performed

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Apr 3 13:18:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 13:07:34 +0000, Lele Gaifax wrote:
> > Are you saying that this ordering of moves isn't actually a problem
> > in practice?  If so, I'd be quite happy to wont-fix this bug :-)
>
> No, I still agree that ideally darcs should never try to out-smart its
> user, arbitrarily reordering things. At the very least, not when asked
> for the XML version.

Thanks!  I doubt Darcs is trying to be clever here so much as keeping
the implementation simple.  (I think our attempts at sorting the pending
patch may be related to coalescing).

May I request that you submit your msg8125 test as a formal test case so
we can study it more?

I'll warn you that we may not actually accept it if we determine that
the sorting is actually necessary (to keep us sane), but I think it may
be useful to have it as concretely and automated as possible.

See http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/RegressionTests

Note that there are really two things to test for

- If I darcs mv twice, what does darcs whatsnew say?

- If I manage to record a patch in the expected order (perhaps
  try this by hand by manually rewriting the pending patch and
  see what happens), what does darcs changes say?

Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9