[darcs-devel] [issue1463] Investigate "proper" Windows APIs for launching editor.

Esa Ilari Vuokko bugs at darcs.net
Tue Apr 13 08:01:47 UTC 2010

Esa Ilari Vuokko <ei at vuokko.info> added the comment:

Following does make sense to me (repeating what was said). Functionality
to (via options):
 1. Wait for editor process,.
 2. or wait for user to tell they've stopped editing.
 3. Run (editor) programs with or with-out inherited console.

And setting defaults to:
 4. Use write.exe out of the box.
 5. Document the behavior and options, as well as short rationale.

As for editor API, I am not sure what you mean.  $EDITOR?  There
certainly is API/Guidelines how to run programs based on mime or file
associations using the extension.  DDE might be usable, but I don't know
if there's convention for it.  As an idea, I'd also suggest following
(as an option): Put the stuff on clipboard.  Watch for clipboard and
when it changes, print it or start of it and ask user if that's the
message he or she would like.