[darcs-devel] [issue1904] cabal flag (default: False) to enable RTS flags

Petr Ročkai bugs at darcs.net
Wed Aug 4 22:12:35 UTC 2010

Petr Ročkai <me at mornfall.net> added the comment:

Eric Kow <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
> Bumping to the next release as this isn't urgent enough for 2.5 (but
> maybe 2.5.1? we could bump back down)
>
> I think darcs-benchmark needs this, for what it's worth.
Yes, we use it to collect memory use statistics. We may need to find a
different way to do that if the +RTS flag disappears by default...

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: I don't think the RTS flag is dangerous in the context of darcs. If
you can pass arbitrary parameters to darcs, you could already darcs get
dangerous things from the internet to locations darcs has write access
to (and with creative use --umask, --set-scripts-executable and
--posthook you could probably get to execute them as well). Writing some
sort of profiler stuff into these same locations sounds fairly less
dangerous (although you probably can't get darcs without +RTS to clobber
files as easily).

nosy: +mornfall