[darcs-devel] [issue1917] tag matches should prefer exact matches

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sun Aug 15 21:32:11 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Thinking about this a bit more, it seems like we should keep things as
they are because

* matching regexes on tag names allows for idioms like "darcs changes
--from-tag ."
* it does not guarantee uniqueness, because as you observed on IRC, tags
do not have to have unique names (imagine the case of merging two
repos)... but it would *appear* to be unique *most* of the time, which
could mislead people
* keeping the behaviour as uniform and exception-free as possible keeps
Darcs friendly and learnable
* it also lets us say things like "a tag is just a patch with a special
name"

If you feel this needs discussion, please open a thread on darcs-users
(that's where we do all our thinking; the BTS is just a place to note
down where things are)

Thanks for the report in the meantime and hope discovering Darcs is a
pleasant experience. :-)

priority:  -> feature
status: unknown -> wont-fix
topic: +Matchers, UI